USB Printer

Marc Wiz marc at wiz.com
Sun Apr 6 09:16:54 PDT 2003

I have been reading Konrad's posts and the replies to the mailing
list regarding getting his HP printer to work.

I also have an HP 656C USB printer.  I am running 4.7-Release.

Like Konrad the kernel does see the printer when it plugged in:

Apr  6 11:06:05 freshaire /kernel: ulpt0: HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 656C, rev 1.10/1.10, addr 2, iclass 7/1

Now here comes the interesting part since I figured it would be a
good idea to start debugging this with a simple setup (no printer
spooler, etc.)  I have tried to do echo "hello there" > /dev/ulpt0
and nothing happens.

It takes about 30 seconds before the command ends.

I have tried this on another system with FreeBSD and the 656C printer
and get the same results.

If I try the echo using Linux the printer works just fine.  I.e. a page is
printed with "hello there".

I then verified I had the proper support in the kernel:

kldstat -v | egrep 'usb|lpt'
                14 ppbus/lpt
                121 ohci/usb
                122 uhci/usb
                127 uhub/ulpt
                130 usb/uhub

The code is compiled into the kernel (not a module)

Any suggestions as to how to proceed?  Are there any driver debug options
that can be enabled either for USB or the printer code?

Thanks,
Marc
--
Marc Wiz