Updating /usr/src after updating 4.7->4.8

Sue Blake sue at welearn.com.au
Sat Apr 5 22:58:03 PST 2003

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 07:15:45PM -0800, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> At 9:56 PM -0500 4/5/03, taxman wrote:
> >On Saturday 05 April 2003 09:26 pm, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> >>  Greetings again. On a test machine, I upgraded from fairly vanilla
> >>  4.7 to 4.8 using CD-ROM and /stand/sysintall. At the beginning of the
> >>  upgrade, it told me that it would not upgrade /usr/src. After the
> >>  upgrade, I see by the dates that it upgraded some of /usr/src, but
> >>  not most of it.
> >>
> >>  What is the proper way to bring /usr/src up to date so that I can
> >>  make kernel mods?
> >
> >cvsup is one of the most common ways.  You need to install it first.  See
> >http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
>
> I was assuming that there was a way to get it off the CD-ROM.
> Is that not true?

That is true. First copy your kernel config file to at least one
safe place. Use /stand/sysinstall as root, go into the
post-installation configuration section, add distributions, custom
selection, then select the kernel sources. You'll have to find your
way around the menus a bit because I haven't seen a recent enough
CD to give you more exact menu item names, sorry.

There is a chance that it will see /usr/src and complain,
especially if you have it populated with sources. Also you might
have to clean away all of the files from the old build before using
the new sources. Being the cautious type, I would start afresh by
renaming /usr/src first (# mv /usr/src /usr/oldsrc), sysinstall the
new kernel sources, retrieve your old kernel config file, and then
remove /usr/oldsrc when you're sure you don't need it.

I tend to upgrade from CD rather than cvsup because for some of us
there is no choice, though I do like to have the full sources if
possible. I always remove the old /usr/src before attempting a CD
upgrade, because I've seen it stubbornly sing that old familiar
song "no, no, cvsup is better" when it found I had sources, though
I don't know if that's still a problem or not. I often forget
that /usr/src contained my precious kernel config file :-)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-