gnome problems

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Fri Apr 4 16:54:29 PST 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 22:39, climbzen at iximd.com wrote:
> hey there,
>    just installed freebsd for the first time, when i try to use gnome i
> get several errors while it loads, the first one says " could not look
> up internet address for . this will prevent GNOME from operating
> correctly. it may be possible to correct the problem by adding to the
> file /etc/host." and it give me options to try again or continue. if i do
> try again i get the same window, if i hit continue ti continues to load
> gnome, then i get a error that says " application "deskguide_applet"
> (process 1142) has crashed due to fatal error. (secmentation fault)"
> it also has a link for the gnome application crash page but i doesn't
> do anything (this box is not online yet) and the only option i have is
> to close the window. then i get the same error for
> "tasklist_applet"(process 1099) and for "panel" process 1023). then
> if looks to load the gnome desktop fine other then all my icons are
> all fuzzy and crappy looking. then if i try and run anything things
> really get weird with those same errors popping up over and over.
> any ideas on what i did wrong this is my second install and got the
> same thing both times.

Have you tried adding an entry to /etc/hosts for your hostname?  If you
don't have a static IP address, something like:

127.0.0.1	localhost.mydomain.com localhost myhostname
myhostname.mydomain.com

Will do.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding the icons.  Can you send a
screenshot?  Also, have you updated to the latest version of GNOME?

Joe