Kernel out of sync was: make buildworld help please ?

taxman taxman at acd.net
Fri Apr 4 16:03:12 PST 2003

On Friday 04 April 2003 02:28 pm, Brent Bailey wrote:
> Hello, Im running a FBSD 4.5 machine DUEL CPU 450 w/ 512 MB ram . Anywho
> ...i tried to CVSUP to the latest stable release , seems the CVSUP went

then a good idea is to use the -stable mailing list.  Try 4.8 release.
RELENG_4_8

> well ...ANYWHO my problem after all was said and done was that i cant do a
> "ps -ax"  or "w" or "top"
> this is the procedure i did with no good results:
>
> make a backup of etc
> cp -Rp /etc /etc.old

good

> in a prebuild world environment
> # /usr/sbin/mergemaster -p -v
>
> # cd /usr/obj
> # chflags -R noschg *
> # rm -rf *
>
> Compile the sources:
>
> # cd /usr/src
> # make buildworld  <-- this failed the first time something to do with
> sendmail ..so i removed  freebsd.mc * from    the
> /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/refuse file so it would ignore sendmail
> then did a "cleandir" and then redid CVSUP and then redid
> make buildworld
>

> Compile and install the new kernel:
>
> # cd /usr/src
> # make buildkernel KERNCONF=LOQTIS-SMP-1  <-- this failed to  saying it
> couldnt make LOQTIS-SMP-1   although it said it made the GENERIC kern. go
> figure
> At this point i didnt know what to do ...so i just continued
> i rebooted into single user mode and ran:
>
> #make installworld   <-- no errors

this is your problem.  if you installworld before compiling and installing a
kernel successfully, then you are running a 4.5 kernel with a 4-stable world.
This is bad and leads to the problems you've reported with ps.
I don't know why the kernel build failed, but it could be due to what you have
in your refuse file.  Try blanking that.  You should not refuse anything that
you do not understand the full effects of.

Make sure to read /usr/src/UPDATING carefully.  There are pitfalls in
upgrading accross 4.6 if you're not careful.

Tim