82845G/GL Card

Karel J. Bosschaart karelj at wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl
Fri Apr 4 06:49:12 PST 2003

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 01:35:04PM +0000, Jim Boles wrote:
> Hello,
>     I can see by all the websites i've visited that I have a very common
> question that you guys have probably answered a million times..  So, sorry
> to bug ya, but I can't find a definitive answer!
>
> I have an Intel 82845G/GL onboard video card.  Of course, when I type
> startx, it tells me no screens found, or no device detected.  I'm a newbie
> to FreeBSD, but enjoy it thus far.  Could you email me something about what
> I need to configure and where.  I have the newest version of FreeBSD (5.0).

The 845G/GL card needs the most recent XFree86 version, which is 4.3.0.
To get it, either use the ports system or install the package: see the
handbook
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-install.html
for detailed information on installing XFree86. You probably need to
'cvsup' your ports-tree to get the most recent version. This is also covered
in the handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html

When configuring X, you need to specify the i810 driver with the 845G
chipset. Configure X by running the setup program:
/usr/X11R6/bin/xf86cfg .
(Personally, I prefer to use the -textmode option to xf86cfg as I find
the GUI extremely confusing).

Finally: you might be able to run this card with the version shipped
with FreeBSD-5.0 (XFree86-4.2.1 or so), using VESA modes... but I
didn't have a very good experience doing that.

Good luck,
Karel.