VMware2 build under -CURRENT ... is Broken?

Danilo Fiorenzano danilo at telusplanet.net
Thu Apr 3 18:24:19 PST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 16:10, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> >.../vmmon-only/freebsd/hostif.c: In function `FindMPN':
> >.../vmmon-only/freebsd/hostif.c:186: invalid operands to binary >>
> >*** Error code 1
> >
> >Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/vmware2/work/vmware-distrib/vmmon-only.
> >
> >  Just wondering if the port is actually currently broken under
> >-CURRENT or if it is something with my system.  I would like to
> >know if it builds OK for other people tracking HEAD.
>
> It happens that I rebuilt the vmware2 port on my machine on
> March 25th.  That went OK.  Just now I tried a force-rebuild of
> it, and I see the same error that you reported.  So, it looks
> like something has changed in the system includes, and that
> is confusing the vmware2 port.  (I say "in the system", because
> the vmware2 port itself has not changed since I last built it).

 Thank you for verifying this.  I myself had to move to -CURRENT a
couple of weeks ago because of a new PC, and waited until the latest
patch was committed by the port maintainer to make it compile under
-CURRENT.  Looks like I should have updated my system sources around the
same time, instead of holding back for 5 more days :)

> There were a number of other compile-time warnings before the
> one you listed.  My guess is that /sys/sys/param.h might be
> getting pulled into the compile when it did not used to be
> pulled into it, but that is a very shaky guess.

 At this point I might try to trace the preprocessor output during the
build process, up to the line where the error occurs.  As soon as I have
some time to work on this, anyway.

 thanks again

-- Danilo