Novice has psm0 problems on a laptop - update

dknapp at calpoly.edu dknapp at calpoly.edu
Thu Apr 3 11:06:21 PST 2003

I've done a boot -v - psm0 says:
psm0: current command byte:0047
psm0: failed to reset the aux device

I'm using a Synaptics PS/2 TouchPad

Is there a patch to make this work? Is it possible to manually reset the
aux device?

> I have a Compaq Presario 1220 laptop (Cyrix 200Mhz - woot!), and I
can't seem to get the touchpad to work.

> I've read the laptop/mobile computing info, searched the mailing list,
and gone to a couple of linux laptop sites - and from what I gather,
there is really nothing special about a touchpad - it should just work
as a psm0 device.  I've tried installing 4.7 -RELEASE and 5.0-RELEASE
thinking that perhaps that would make a difference - but it didn't.

> In 4.7 (which is currently running) psm0 isn't detected or at least
isn't listed on dmesg (same thing?).  When I did the preliminary
configuration, I made sure that psm0 was enabled/listed.

> I found another post where someone was having problems with their
touchpad -
> I tried moused -p /dev/psm0 -t auto
> Moused: unable to open /dev/psm0: device not configured.
>
> So, I'm thinking that perhaps my next step is to force psm0 to be
configured?
> Am I screwed if it isn't detected at boot - any way to fix that?
>
> There is also an external port that has a mouse/keyboard picture -
I've tried plugging in an external ps/2 mouse, and it doesn't seem to
work either.  All of my mouse testing has been done by running
/stand/sysinstall - mouse configuration

> The most aggravating thing is that I was able to run /stand/sysinstall
at one point, and I had it working!  However, I have now tried all the
mouse configuration options under post installation configuration, and
none of them have worked.

> At various points I've been able to get X running, but to really make
the laptop usable, I need a mouse - my last resort is going to be to try
a serial mouse, but I don't have one handy.

> dbk
>

> David Knapp
> Network Analyst,
> Cal Poly, SLO
> dknapp at calpoly.edu
> 805.748.4650
> "Knowing the path is not the same thing as walking the path"
>

> ---

---