FreeBSD Port/Distribution Installation

Sukhbinder Singh sukhbinders at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 3 01:39:49 PST 2003

I got the bin distribution installed at the first time when I installed this
whole new FreeBSD into my computer for the very first time using the 2 image
floppy disk. First, I tried installing them using ftp. However, I was unable
to connect or start a ftp connection after successive tries. Then, I copied
the bin distibution from the /bin folder from the ftp.freebsd.org  site into
my harddisk and when I started the installation program, when the
installation program prompted me for the type of installation method that I
want to use I choose to install using dos partition method. Then in this way
the FreeBSD Installation program automatically went to the dos partition and
downloaded the bin directory. Now, I am unable to get to the screen where it
will allow me to choose the kinds of distributions that I need to install
and the kind of installation method that I want to use such as installing
via ftp, dos partition, floopies ,etc . Do I need to use the 2 floopies
(kern.flp and mfsroot.flp) again this time or can I just pop up this
installation window from root itself ? I mean do I have to go through the
step of what I went through at the time when I first set up freebsd into my
system, like booting the computer using the 2 floppies images that one
copies to first install freebsd or can I now just do it from the root. I
need to know the command how can I download the /games distribution or the
/crypto distribution which I have in my Hard Disk but it is in the dos
partition side. Once I can copy these files from the dos partition to the
freebsd partition then I can obviously install them. But now these files or
distribution exist but it is in my dos partition and not in my FreeBSD
partition. I am not sure if I can just install them from the dos partition
itself or do I need to copy them from the dos partition side to the FreeBSD
partition and then install them in the FreeBSD partition. Any help will be
helpful.

Thanks,

Singh.