newfs parameters for a 500 GB volume ?

Jan Grant Jan.Grant at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Apr 3 01:04:10 PST 2003

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Heinrich Rebehn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am repeating the post below, because it obviously hasn't made it to
> the list (at least i did not get it back from the list).
>
> Can someone please give me some advice, because i will be setting up the
> discs today.
>
> Thank you
>

> Hi,
>
> I am going to set up a RAID 0 array with two 250G drives, making 500G.
> Which newfs parameters would you recommend for it?

As many cylinders per group as possible. I think newfs has an "infinity"
setting to pick the right number.

> I am afraid of ending up with a fs with Gigs of space and no inodes
> left, or a fs that is heavily fragmented and slow.
> Reading the newfs manpage didn't quit help me, it explains all switches
> The files on the volume will be 2 MB average.

There's a "bytes per inode" setting that you can plug this figure into.
You might want to be a little more generous with inodes than that (give
yourself some elbow room). You need inodes for symlinks and directories
too.

> Thank you for any suggestions or pointers.

"...perl has been dead for more than 4 years." - Abigail in the Monastery