sendmail woes

bastill at adam.com.au bastill at adam.com.au
Wed Apr 2 17:35:32 PST 2003

In discussion on -stable, people have been trying to help me with a sendmail
issue.  The effect is for sendmail to refuse to start, no matter what, and I
cannot use the Internet from that box.
(I am using webmail and Windoze - <sob> - to send this message)

One problem is that the version of sendmail and its .cf file are out of sync
and I don't know how to correct this.
There might be other problems I need to address.

Here is the output of two investigatory commands suggested by Claus.  They took
AGES to complete (I went off to play patience while they ran!).  Looks like the
second output waited for me to provide an answer about ruleset, then gave up
and gave me back my prompt (see last two lines).

Hope someone can help with this "mess".  Thanks.

root at BAPhD /etc #sendmail -bs
220 BAPhD.gihon.org.au ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.8/8.11.6; Wed, 2 Apr 2003 22:58:36
+0930 (CST)
EHLO localhost
250-BAPhD.gihon.org.au Hello root at localhost, pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
QUIT
221 2.0.0 BAPhD.gihon.org.au closing connection
root at BAPhD /etc #sendmail -bt -d0.13 < /dev/null
Version 8.12.8
 Compiled with: DNSMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7
                NAMED_BIND NETINET NETINET6 NETUNIX NEWDB NIS PIPELINING SCANF
                STARTTLS TCPWRAPPERS USERDB XDEBUG
    OS Defines: BSD4_4_SOCKADDR HASFCHOWN HASFCHMOD HASFLOCK
                HASGETDTABLESIZE HASGETUSERSHELL HASINITGROUPS HASLSTAT HASNICE
                HASRANDOM HASRRESVPORT HASSETLOGIN HASSETREUID HASSETRLIMIT
                HASSETSID HASSETUSERCONTEXT HASSETVBUF HAS_ST_GEN HASSRANDOMDEV
                HASURANDOMDEV HASSTRERROR HASUNAME HASUNSETENV HASWAITPID
                IDENTPROTO IP_SRCROUTE LOCK_ON_OPEN SAFENFSPATHCONF
                USE_DOUBLE_FORK USESETEUID USESYSCTL
Kernel symbols: don't use _PATH_UNIX
     Conf file: /etc/mail/submit.cf (default for MSP)
     Conf file: /etc/mail/sendmail.cf (default for MTA)
      Pid file: /var/run/sendmail.pid (default)
 libsm Defines: SM_CONF_GETOPT SM_CONF_LONGLONG SM_CONF_MEMCHR
                SM_CONF_MSG SM_CONF_SEM SM_CONF_SETITIMER SM_CONF_SHM
                SM_CONF_SSIZE_T SM_CONF_STDDEF_H SM_CONF_SYS_CDEFS_H
                SM_CONF_UID_GID SM_HEAP_CHECK SM_OS=sm_os_freebsd SM_VA_STD
   FFR Defines: _FFR_TLS_1
Canonical name: BAPhD.gihon.org.au
        a.k.a.: BAPhD
        a.k.a.: BAPhD.gihon
 UUCP nodename: BAPhD.gihon.org.au
        a.k.a.: BAPhD.gihon.org.au
        a.k.a.: [172.16.1.1]
        a.k.a.: [192.168.1.100]
        a.k.a.: [IPv6:fe80::200:21ff:fed5:c670]
        a.k.a.: [IPv6:fe80::205:1cff:fe01:9622]
        a.k.a.: [IPv6:::1]
        a.k.a.: [IPv6:fe80::1]
        a.k.a.: [127.0.0.1]
        a.k.a.: localhost.gihon.org.au
     Conf file: /etc/mail/sendmail.cf (selected)
      Pid file: /var/run/sendmail.pid (selected)

============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============
      (short domain name) $w = BAPhD
  (canonical domain name) $j = BAPhD.gihon.org.au
         (subdomain name) $m = gihon.org.au
              (node name) $k = BAPhD.gihon.org.au

Warning: .cf file is out of date: sendmail 8.12.8 supports version 10, .cf file
is version 9
ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>