MySQL Problem

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Apr 2 15:33:51 PST 2003

Konrad Scorciapino wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>Look in /var/db/mysql/ and look for the error logs.
>>I think they are labeled hostname.err.
>>
>>They should tell you what is wrong.
>
> Hmmm... The problems started when I deleted the "mysql" database... Now I've
> fixed it....
>
> I've deleted the database as a regular user, as could anyone else do. Is there
> any way to prevent regular users from deleting those important databases?

a) How did you delete it?  rm -r?
b) What do you mean by "regular user"?

If you use rm to delete the directory, then that's a problem that should be
fixed ... MySQL shouldn't install it's data files rw by just any user.
However ... I'm looking at my MySQL install and all the data directories are
rw only by user mysql.

If you logged into mysql and use "drop database" and it succeeded, then you
probably weren't a "regular user".  Read the docs on MySQL security, there's
a lot to it.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies