copying system install to dissimiliar new server

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Apr 2 14:48:48 PST 2003

Jon Reynolds wrote:
> I am wondering if there is a way to setup a server using FreeBSD4.7 and
> after I have it configured to my liking, can I clone it then put the
> image on a system that has completly different hardware? Is it the 'dd'
> command I need to research for this or is there some other way?

Use "dump" and "restore" to backup entire filesystem images, since that
will handle special device files properly.  Note that you can also
simply copy over /etc/rc.conf onto a fresh install of 4.7 and that will
include all of the system config stuff you've done.

--
-Chuck

...with 900 emails to go; take one down, pass it around;
         899 emails to go...