rebuild one module

Mike Meyer mwm-dated-1049745962.627a06 at mired.org
Wed Apr 2 12:06:04 PST 2003

In <200304022035.15679.ajacoutot at lphp.org>, Antoine Jacoutot <ajacoutot at lphp.org> typed:
> On Wednesday 02 April 2003 20:23, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Well, what are you doing now to build the kernel? You should be able
> > to use the classic kernel build method, except you don't have to
> > repeat any of the steps but "make".
>
> What I am doing is
> $ cd /usr/src
> $ make buildkernel KERNCONF=MY_CONF
> $ make installkernel KERNCONF=MY_CONF
>
> Then I reboot the machine. But I don't want to rebuild the kernel each time I
> change one line in the emu10k1... I want to be able to just rebuild the
> module itself.

That's the way to rebuild new sources. Try:

$ cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
$ config MY_CONF
$ cd ../../compile/MY_CONF
$ make depend
$ make
$ make install

The first time, that will rebuild everything. From then on out, just
do the last two make's to rebuild and install what changed. Actually,
just "make install" may do the trick, but I'm not sure about that.

	<mike