Fatal trap after adding more memory

James Long list at museum.rain.com
Wed Apr 2 11:29:09 PST 2003

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 11:26:19AM -0500, Eric Ekong wrote:

> I added memory to my machine yesterday and since then I have noticed
> Fatal traps when I try to do some intensive activity on the machine.
> IE. make buildworld

That's a classic sign of faulty memory.  I had the same thing when I
bought four pieces of  256M ECC RAM.  I had two parts each built from
NEC and Samsung chips.  Much as I have liked Samsung in the past, any
time I had any piece of the Samsung memory installed, no matter which
slot, a buildworld running while doing some heavy tar compress/decom-
press operations would cause a fatal trap.  Run the NEC memory alone,
no problems.  Run either or both of the Samsung pieces alone, problems.

Remove the newly-added memory and ensure that the problems goes away.
If so, try using JUST the new memory alone, either one piece at a time,
or all at once, and see whether the problem occurs only when the new
memory is used.  If so, return the memory for a different make or
better quality.