adding a patch to a port

Martin Karlsson mk-freebsd at bredband.net
Tue Apr 1 23:34:27 PST 2003

* David Banning <david at skytracker.ca> [2003-03-28 20.54 -0500]:
> I was given a patch for the dillo port which I don't quite
> know how to configure. I wonder how I can take this format and
> turn it into something I can use in the port. It seems that most
> patches in the ports are separated as individual files while this one
> has them in one file. Is there a simple way to reconfigure it
> or is a test editor the only way?

Hi,

If the patch is in one file or many files doesn't really matter.

Basically, you would:
# cd /usr/ports/www/dillo
# make extract
# cd work
# patch < /full/path/to_patch

If everything worked allright, you'll see messages saying that hunk 1
succeded, hunk 2 succeded and so on. Otherwise, hunk 1 failed...

# cd ..
(placing you in /usr/ports/www/dillo again)
make install clean

Make sure you have a up-to-date ports tree (i.e. make sure that the
dillo port is 7.1, as the patch is for dillo-7.1).

Good luck!
--
Martin Karlsson