Howto grab/encode an audio cd?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Apr 1 17:14:59 PST 2003

On 2003-04-01 21:39, "D. Theunissen" <danzel at home.nl> wrote:

> I've searched for some docs to grab a cd and convert it to mp3 (like
> with cdex for windows) but it seems that there is no such program
> written for freebsd (correct me if I'm wrong). The only thing I can
> find is to grab it manual, with cdda2wav and lame.

There is actually a section in the Handbook about this.  You can use
the instructions at the following two sections:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-mp3.html
http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html

> Has anyone got any id how to automize this?
> Is there a program that fixes it for me?

Yes, there are ways to automate this.  I personally prefer writing my
own shell scripts to do it.  Something along the lines of:

    base="cdrom-$(date '+%Y-%m-%d-%H%M')"
    mkdir "${base}" && cd "${base}" || exit 1
    dagrab -v -d /dev/acd0c -f '%02d.wav' -o 4 -m 0640 16 && \
    bladeenc -del -br 192 -crc -private *.wav && exit 0
    /bin/rm -fr *.wav
    exit 1

- Giorgos