logging websites visited

Toni Schmidbauer toni at stderror.at
Tue Apr 1 12:21:38 PST 2003

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 02:26:51PM -0500, Asenchi wrote:

> I have a been googling and reading for about 3-4 weeks on this, and can't seem to find the answer to.  How do I log internet connections through my firewall.  I am running IPFW with Natd and I want to log who is going to what site.  Is there a way to do this? (I know, of course there is, ITS BSD!)
see man ipfw(5):

log [logamount number]
	When a packet matches a rule with the log keyword, a
	message will be logged to syslogd(8) with a LOG_SECURITY
	facility.  The logging only occurs if the sysctl variable
	net.inet.ip.fw.verbose is set to 1 (which is the default when the kernel is
	compiled with IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE ) and the number of packets
	logged so far for that particular rule does not exceed ther logamount
	parameter.  If no logamount is specified, the limit is taken
	from the sysctl variable net.inet.ip.fw.verbose_limit.  In both
	cases, a value of 0 removes the logging limit.

toni
Behandle die Menschen, als wären sie, was sie sein | toni at stderror.at
sollten, und du wirst ihnen helfen, zu werden, was | Toni Schmidbauer
sie sein können.  - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe     |