making expect without X11

Andrey Simonenko simon at comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua
Tue Apr 1 03:05:02 PST 2003

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 16:34:44 +0000 (UTC) in lucky.freebsd.questions, Jim Arnold wrote:
> How do I compile expect without having X windows installed?
>
> If I use: make WITHOUT_X11=yes  if bombs out with the message below:

I'm sorry, I made mistake in previous my answer, your command is correct
as well.

> ct.o shared/exp_event.o  shared/exp_chan.o shared/Dbg.o
> -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -ltcl83   -lm -lc
> /usr/libexec/elf/ld: unrecognized option '-Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib'
> /usr/libexec/elf/ld: use the --help option for usage information
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/lang/expect/work/expect-5.38.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/lang/expect.
>
> Please CC any responses to me as I cannot subscribe to the list.

On my ports collection I also can't build expect.  It seems that ld(1)
doesn't understand -Wl option, actually this is a option of gcc(1) for
the linker.  Check output of "ld --help" and man page for gcc.

When "make WITHOUT_X11=yes build" reaches that error message on my system,
I modified expect's Makefile (in the work directory) and successfully
build expect from ports collection.

Modification: change "-Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib" to "-rpath /usr/local/lib"
in expect's Makefile.

Right now I can run expect, but more tests should be done if above
mentioned modification is correct.

I suppose that this a bug and appropriate PR should be sent to FreeBSD.