4.11-RC1: Setting bash as user default shell

Randy Pratt rpratt1950 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 30 07:48:50 PST 2004

I did a fresh install of 4.11-RC1 on an older box:

FreeBSD dell.weeble.com 4.11-RC1 FreeBSD 4.11-RC1 #0: Fri Dec 17 16:47:15 GMT 2004
root at perseus.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

I was not able to set bash as the user's default shell during
installation even though bash had been installed.  The message said
that it was not a valid user shell.  I decided to leave it as
/bin/sh to complete the installation.  I tried adding a new user
after installation and setting the shell to
/usr/local/bin/bash and a pop-up said:

 Warning:

        The requested shell "/usr/local/bin/bash" is not
        a valid user shell.

        Use it anyway?

I answered yes and it did set the default shell to bash.  I'm
not clear why we're adding this 'Are you sure?' message.  It
seems rather pointless and will only add to confusion since
I did have bash installed and it was a valid shell.  If the
message stated "a non-standard shell", it might help.

After install, I tried to change an existing user to bash with
chsh not able to change the user's default shell to bash:

	$ chsh

	... <edit file and save> ..

	chsh: /usr/local/bin/bash: non-standard shell
	re-edit the password file? [y]: n
	chsh: /etc/master.passwd: unchanged
	$

No amount of fiddling would allow me to use chsh to set
bash as the default user shell.

Vipw will change the user's shell without any problems.

I also have a STABLE box that was cvsupped on the same day:

FreeBSD kt.weeble.com 4.11-STABLE FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE #0: Fri Dec 17 07:51:02 EST 2004     rpratt at kt.weeble.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM  i386

On the -STABLE box, I can create a user and set bash as the
default shell without any warnings.  I can also create a user
with /bin/sh as the default shell and change it to
/usr/local/bin/bash with chsh without any problems.

The ident of chsh on both boxes shows identical results.

Can anyone duplicate this on a fresh 4.11-RC1 install?

If more detail is needed, just ask.

Best regards,

Randy