Failed to build Python 2.7.8 on FreeBSD for PowerPC

Kubilay Kocak koobs at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 24 08:52:32 UTC 2014

On 21/08/2014 2:14 AM, Larry Hynes wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm not sure if I'm bothering anyone - I hope not - but I'm having
> difficulty building Python 2.7.8 for FreeBSD (10) on PowerPC.
>
> Ports are up to date, just today, and previous versions of Python have
> built without issue.
>
> The problem seems to be here:
>
>    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ports/lang/python27/work/Python-2.7.8 ./python
> -E -S -m sysconfig --generate-posix-vars
>    building dbm using ndbm
>    cc: _struct.c: No such file or directory

Hi Larry, thanks for getting in touch :) Can you try the following and
report back please:

In the python27 port directory:

1) make extract
2) cd into WRKSRC (work/Python-2.7.8/)
3) ./configure --enable-shared && make

Let me know how the symptoms are different, or if it fails in the same way.

4) Attach build log in your reply

If the above sequences highlights nothing interesting, and you want to
further isolate:

Ghange the previous step (1) to `make patch` (which will bring in our
local port patches) and follow steps 3-4 again, giving us two build logs.

fwiw, googling "_struct.c: No such file or directory" returns a few old
upstream Python bugs, so right now we want to go about isolating the
Python port from the underlying distribution to identify the minimal
reproduction case

The FreeBSD Python team is also available at #freebsd-python on freenode
IRC, see you there!

Koobs