misc/188890: devel/py27-setuptools: bad entry point (possible cause to egg-info problems)

Kubilay Kocak koobs.freebsd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 15:30:02 UTC 2014

The following reply was made to PR ports/188890; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kubilay Kocak <koobs.freebsd at gmail.com>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, mustelator at yahoo.es
Subject: Re: misc/188890: devel/py27-setuptools: bad entry point (possible
 cause to egg-info problems)
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 01:28:42 +1000

 Thanks for your submission Toni,

 First, easy_install is not supported as a mechanism to install python
 packages into the system python installation.

 The only supported mechanisms for installation of Python packages into
 the system installation is via ports directly or FreeBSD packages built
 from these ports. This is a standard restriction for all operating
 systems that redistribute Python packages via their software or package
 management systems.

 It ensures that all Python packages are registered correctly, along with
 all of the files they install, so they may be upgraded or uninstalled
 cleanly, and without creating or leaving a corrupted environment.

 Do not use easy_install (or pip) directly, unless you are installing
 Python packages into a completely isolated environment or location, such
 as your home directory, or a virtual environment.

 I also notice that you have 10.0-RELEASE installed, but you get a
 reference to "9.1-RELEASE-amd64" when you run easy_install.

 Please provide a list of files currently in:
 /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages so that we can provide you with
 guidance on how to clean your python installation.

 If you have any questions or need real-time support, we can be found on
 #freebsd-python on the freenode IRC network.