question about virtualenv and sqlite (django/sqlalchemy)

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Sat Apr 19 23:32:06 UTC 2014

Hey folks,

I finally figured out how to get sqlite based things to work under
virtualenv under FreeBSD.

It seems like the default python on FreeBSD has sqlite disabled.

This is pretty rough for newbies such as myself who just want to follow
someone else's HOWTO/blog-post for using virtualenv.

The way I "fixed it" was to hack the ports
/usr/ports/databases/py-sqlite3/files/setup.py file and extract python
and do it by hand.

Details are here:
http://t.co/cGFQ45BnBJ

So my question is, did I do it right?  Is there a better way to make
virtualenv work outside of the box on FreeBSD?

Last time I just gave up on virtualenv, but that's probably because I'm
not well versed in python system installation.

help?