[CFT] lang/python becoming a python binary wrapper

Marcus von Appen mva at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 16 15:24:51 UTC 2013

On, Mon Sep 16, 2013, Dmitry Sivachenko wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Imagine the following scenario:
> I have both python2 and python3 installed.
> I want python2 to be the default version (lang/python port installs
> python -> python2.7, etc).
>

> Then I want to build another port with python3 dependency.
>
> I put USE_PYTHON=3.3+ in port's Makefile, but it depends on lang/python which pulls python2.7 too.
>
> How can I build a python module with 3.X only dependency?

Right now this can only be arranged with a hack in Mk/bsd.python.mk,
line 581 and following. Those pull in lang/python, since many ports
depend on bin/python, although they are only compatible with a specific
python version.
Solving this issue and making ports depend on lang/python2 OR
lang/python3 OR a specific python version is on the agenda, but will
take some time, since many ports, that python scripts, have to be checked.

We happily invite everyone to check ports for those issues, report back
to us or provide fixes to solve this faster ;-).

Cheers
Marcus