FreeBSD Port: graphics/py-cairo

Kubilay Kocak koobs.freebsd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 00:20:58 UTC 2013

On 24/10/2013 11:09 AM, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found the problem. This port does not seem to respect the CC
> environment variables and was trying to compile with gcc, instead of
> clang. The problem is that my CFLAGS dont work in gcc (no -mavx in old
> gcc, etc) and it seemed to pull these flags from python, because
> changing them in /etc/make.conf did not help.
>
> After I recompiled python without these flags, I was able to compile
> this. Still though, it would be nice if it used clang, as defined in my
> make.conf. Sorry for the noise.
>
> Thanks.
>
> On 10/23/13 19:21, Kubilay Kocak wrote:

>>> Mike I see you got both 2.7 and 3.3 installed. When I build py-cairo it
>>> worked fine, so I don't really know what happening with waf. So I cc'd
>>> python@ since they might have a beter idea what waf is doing.
>>>
>>> -Koop
>>>
>> The output of the following might help to isolate:
>>
>> - /usr/local/bin/python2.7-config --cflags
>> - /usr/local/bin/python2.7-config --libs
>> - /usr/local/bin/python2.7-config --includes
>> - /usr/local/bin/python2.7-config --ldflags
>>
>> Also possibly related:
>>
>> https://code.google.com/p/waf/issues/detail?id=1118
>>
>> Can you also have a look at config.log and pull out any relevant
>> failures.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Koobs

Great news Mike, thanks for following up :)

This unfortunately is one of those grey areas in python/python-extension
land, where the extension is doing the right thing by asking python for
build information but it overrides user-defined parameters.

Can you create a PR for graphics/py-cairo mentioning that it doesn't
respect CC, including the impact it had for you and a reference to this
thread in the body. The port maintainer can determine the best course of
action.

Koobs