Removing the lang/python dependency

Marcus von Appen mva at FreeBSD.org
Sat Nov 23 12:49:43 UTC 2013

On, Mon Oct 07, 2013, Marcus von Appen wrote:

[...]
> I'm currently trying to remove lang/python from the implicitly set
> BUILD_DEPENDS and RUN_DEPENDS in bsd.python.mk. This is required to
>
> a) properly detect ports using a wrong python version (e.g. using
>    python, although they only support version X.Y)
> b) make bin/python and friends a user choice (where possible)
> c) avoid issues with pkg
>
> I'm testing each category and am fixing ports on the fly, when
> everything breaks. The removal will happen in two runs.
>
> In the first run, python:${PORTSDIR}/lang/python will be added as build
> or run dependency to the port, so we can remove the implicit dependency
> from bsd.python.mk.

Quick update:

A list of 65 ports has been identified, which need to be fixed. I'm
currently patching those and will send out mails to the maintainers as
necessary. Once the ports are committed and an exp-run succeeds, the
lang/python dependency will be removed from bsd.python.mk.

Cheers
Marcus