systematic issue with PYDISTUTILS_AUTOPLIST

William Grzybowski william88 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 09:33:07 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 2:58 AM, Nicola Vitale <nivit at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> [2013/11/21 William Grzybowski <william88 at gmail.com>]
>> The conclusion is that there are issues to fix in setuptools like
>> easy-install.pth.
>
> Do you mean errors such as
>
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/easy-install.pth: No such file
> or directory?

Yes.

> (see for example
> http://package19.nyi.freebsd.org/bulk/91amd64-default-pr_183726/2013-11-13_11h43m59s/logs/errors/py27-scriptaculous-1.8.1.1_2.log
> )
>
> If so, in my opinion the cause may be this change to bsd.python.mk:
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=322046

In my opinion its not really a cause, how else would you do that? We
are dealing with packages, I don't see another way to install the
packages if not manually poking with easy-install.pth.

> In fact, with the new setuptools, easy-install.pth is created the
> first time you run easy_install; but if you use only packages to
> install programs/dependencies, then this never happens, so the ed
> command fails to edit the file
> ${PYEASYINSTALL_SITELIBDIR}/easy-install.pth.

Sure, but the only way around that I see is manually creating the
easy-install.pth, or figure out a way to tel setuptools to,
regardless.

--
William Grzybowski