bsd.python.mk: python3 plist shim

Ruslan Makhmatkhanov cvs-src at yandex.ru
Wed Jan 23 18:09:11 UTC 2013

Marcus von Appen wrote on 23.01.2013 20:50:
> Hi,
>
> On, Wed Jan 23, 2013, Ruslan Makhmatkhanov wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm planning to apply this patch to Mk/bsd.python.mk soon. It's an
>> nivit's solution from devel/py-virtualenv for changes, introduced in PEP
>> 3147 [1]. It will not affect default packages build, because packages
>> are not yet building for python3 on cluster, but it will affect python
>> ports, built with python3, that already has fix like that applied
>> locally. I tested it with dozen of ports and everything seems fine.
>> Local fixes will be removed right after this change. Please tell me if
>> there is any objections or suggestions on this. Thanks.
>
> [...]
>
> I still do not get what the patch should exactly do and I am too lazy to
> refresh my awk skills and try it out myself. If that patch is just about
> the [INSERT cpython-correct-XX].pyc stuff, there is no need for it in my
> opinion.
> Can you please provide details on what the patch does?
>
> Cheers
> Marcus

Yes, it does just that by adding __pycache__ directories with compiled
and optimized bytecode into pkg-plist. This allows us to make packages
for python 3.2+ successfully.

I can't explain more than that, because I treat that as some magic
sequence for fixing py3 packages and that already applied locally in
many ports, so it's time to just stop duplicating this pattern over the
tree.

Why do you think this isn't needed? Do you prefer patching the python
internals to get the 2.x behavior or what?

--
Regards,
Ruslan

Tinderboxing kills... the drives.