ports/184954: Installation checks prevent multiple python ports being installed

Marcus von Appen mva at FreeBSD.org
Wed Dec 18 07:55:15 UTC 2013

On, Wed Dec 18, 2013, Shane Ambler wrote:

[...]
> Recent changes cause py-setuptools to be installed for the python
> version being used. The installation checks prevent py-setuptools being
> installed for more than one python version at a time.
>

> eg py27-setuptools prevents py32-setuptools being installed.
>
> I think the previous behaviour saw py27-setuptools and it was used
> during install. Now I can't install a port set to use python32 or
> python33 because setuptools is installed for python27.
>
> I've created duplicate ports to be able to install py-numpy for
> multiple python versions but I don't want to start duplicating every
> python port to support multiple python versions.

This is a long-standing issue that the Python team is aware of. In fact,
it does not only have an impact on python ports, but on all ports. The
root cause is pkg_add, which uses the PKGORIGIN to detect, whether the
port is installed. Since py32-setuptools and py27-setuptools both share
the same PKGORIGIN (devel/py-setuptools), pkg_add fails.

pkg shares the same problem by checking for the PKGORIGIN record, so a
switch to pkg would not help you either.

Right now there is no solution at hand for that problem, but we are
working on it.