ports/184339: lang/python27 does not allow unsetting NLS (or other options)

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Sun Dec 8 21:40:01 UTC 2013

The following reply was made to PR ports/184339; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Gerald Pfeifer <gerald at pfeifer.com>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Cc: freebsd-python at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: ports/184339: lang/python27 does not allow unsetting NLS (or
 other options)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 22:31:45 +0100 (CET)

 First of all, thanks for your thorough and helpful responses!

 On Thu, 28 Nov 2013, Kubilay Kocak wrote:
 > The WITHOUT_OPTION=yes convention is deprecated, the correct method
 > to customising options from the command line is:
 >
 > WITH="OPTION1 OPTIONN" or
 > WITHOUT="OPTION1 OPTIONN"

 With this change, things work for me expected, thanks.

 Still, even if WITHOUT_NLS is deprecated (which the system did not
 warn about), failing the users explicit request is not so nice.

 On Thu, 5 Dec 2013, John Hein wrote:
 > Having WITHOUT_* work in some cases but not others consistently seems
 > like a potential source of confusion if the rules are not spelled out
 > clearly.

 Absolutely.  It definitely confused me quite a bit. :-)

 > As far as python27, I'm not sure why NLS is in the OPTIONS_DEFINE list
 > instead of just relying on the fact that NLS is a global option.  As
 > far as I understand it, NLS could be removed from OPTIONS_DEFINE for
 > python27 (& other pythonXY ports).  It has a slightly different
 > NLS_DESC than the default option, but I'm not sure that nuanced
 > distinction is important in this case.  Unless there's a good reason
 > I'm missing to have NLS in OPTIONS_DEFINE, I'd vote on removing it
 > from OPTIONS_DEFINE in python* (and EXAMPLES and IPV6, too, I suppose).

 I concur.

 Gerald