Enabling ports to be installed for different python versions

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 14:00:38 UTC 2013

On Saturday, 3 August 2013 14:58:04 Marcus von Appen wrote:
> On, Sat Aug 03, 2013, David Naylor wrote:
> > On Saturday, 3 August 2013 12:32:45 Marcus von Appen wrote:
> > > Support for non-CPython implementations:
> > >
> > > - A mid-term goal should be to offer support PyPy in USE_PYTHON, etc.
> > >
> > >   This can introduce a new PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX and SUFFIX and should
> > >   have only a minimal impact on implementing the change, once everything
> > >   else has been done.
> >
> > I don't think we need to limit the scope to only PyPy, there is also
> > IronPython and Jython (perhaps longer term goals).  I have the following
> >
> > suggestions for PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX:
> >  - ppyXY for PyPy
> >  - p3pyXY for PyPy3
> >  - ipyXY for IronPython
> >  - jpyXY for Jython
> >
> > where XY is the implementation version.
>
> I left out IronPython and Jython intentionally, since they are barely
> usable from a module compatibility point of view (especially for Python
> 2.7+). Thus my current focus is on getting CPython and PyPy (or PyPy3)
> up and running as default python interpreters for FreeBSD.

Once I have "finished" my remaining big ports I would like to move on to
getting IronPython and Jython working nicely with Ports.  But that is at least
months away...

> > I'll happily act as liaison between the Python/FreeBSD PyPy teams if
> > needed.
> I was unaware that there are seperate teams for that ;-). I would
> consider PyPy to belong to the FreeBSD Python team as well as Jython,
> IronPython, Cython, PyRex...

By "PyPy team" I meant upstream PyPy team.  I do agree with your expectation:
as the sole PyPy maintainer I do consider myself part of the PyPy team.