lang/python* and --enable-shared

Raphael Kubo da Costa rakuco at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 11 17:20:05 UTC 2011

Hello there,

I'm currently working on updating and cleaning up the PyQt ports.

After my current changes, devel/py-qt4-designerplugin cannot be built
because the configuration script does something similar to the
following:

  from distutils.sysconfig import get_config_vars
  ducfg = get_config_vars()

  # ...

  if not "--enable-shared" in ducfg.get("CONFIG_ARGS", ""):
     # error out and do not build

And indeed, the lang/python27 port I have installed here does not pass
--enable-shared to its configuration script.

Is that intentional? Can someone explain what the effects of this option
are? So far, we were just patching the configuration script to skip this
check altogether, but I'm not sure this is even correct.

Cheers,
rakuco