FreeBSD Port: python27-2.7.0_1

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Nov 15 17:19:53 UTC 2010

John Hein <jhein at symmetricom.com> wrote:
 > To answer Sylvain's original query, 2.7 is fairly new still.  When a
 > sufficent amount of testing has occurred that indicates 2.7 has no
 > regressions, then someone will throw the switch.  Of course, what
 > constitutes a sufficient amount of testing is somewhat subjective.  So
 > the more use it gets by early adopters (such as yourself presumably),
 > the higher the confidence in being able to update the default.
 >
 > I've been using python27 for a couple months now without any problems.
 > To help get the default switched from 2.6 to 2.7, request it and
 > report any successes (and problems) here and/or submit PRs.
 >
 > A search in the PR database for python27 doesn't turn up any
 > significant problems.

FWIW, I'm also using Python 2.7 for several months on quite
a lot of machines.  I upgraded from 2.6 because I wanted to
use some of the new features, in particular "memoryview",
which helps to considerably improve the performance of a
program of mine that manipulates video data.

There were only two or three minor problems.  I've reported
them, and they all got fixed quickly.  So, as far as I'm
concerned, the default can be switched over.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Life is short (You need Python)"
        -- Bruce Eckel, ANSI C++ Comitee member, author
           of "Thinking in C++" and "Thinking in Java"