Regarding HAVE_BROKEN_POSIX_SEMAPHORES

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Thu Mar 12 04:02:04 PDT 2009

Hi,

If any of you can find the time, could you try applying rev 189736 of
uipc_sem.c and patching Python to be built *without* defining
HAVE_BROKEN_POSIX_SEMAPHORES in ${WRKSRC}/Python/thread_pthread.h ?

Please see the PR for a one-liner patch:
    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/127545

As you are probably aware, Python will try to emulate semaphores by
using condition variables when USE_SEMAPHORES is not defined.

I believe this commit fixes the issue. It must have crept in when timed
waits were implemented.

cheers
BMS

P.S. Help to debug 'multiprocessing' in Python 2.6 on FreeBSD would be
very, very appreciated... I think I've traced it back to problems with
the thread library -- specifically, fork()-ing from a thread seems to be
broken.