ports/118773: x11-toolkits/py-qt and devel/py-sip don't need python2.5 as port states

Gerhard Schmidt estartu at augusta.de
Mon Jan 28 23:16:42 PST 2008

Danny Pansters schrieb:
> Py-2.5 became the default python around the time that PyQt4 update arrived,
> and I have proactively set USE_PYTHON=2.5+
>
> There *have* been certain problems with PyQt4 with python 2.5- (fixed by the
> author but you never know what else may lurk). Also, PyQt4 development uses
> py-2.5 now.
>
> Also, the PR originator should have CC'd me, or may be just ask why I made
> that decision.
>
> I do not approve this patch. PR originator can use his patch locally and solve
> any future problems arising from that locally as well.

There is still no information why the decision is made.

Using USE_PYTHON=2.4+ will still install python2.5 by default but whouldn't
prevent the port form being installed on python2.4. So where is the gain in
your decision.

Python2.4 is still widely used. E.g. Zope doesn't run on 2.5 so all users of
Zope have still 2.4 installed. Your decision causes many problems without any
gain.

Regards
   Estartu

Gerhard Schmidt    | Nick : estartu      IRC : Estartu  |
Fischbachweg 3     |                                    | PGP Public Key
86856 Hiltenfingen | Privat: estartu at augusta.de         |  auf Anfrage/
Tel: 08232 77 36 4 | Dienst: schmidt at ze.tu-muenchen.de  |   on request
Fax: 08232 77 36 3 |                                    |