new to python/zope - installation woes

Geraint Edwards gedge-lists at yadn.org
Sat Jun 4 08:19:54 PDT 2005

George Donnelly <list at zettai.net> said
		(on Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 12:25:29PM -0500):
> zope and plone are medium-level maintenance, so you might find them
> difficult to forget about. ;)

Well, that's already the case!  Thanks for the heads-up, though.

> FreeBSD rocks, but Zope/Plone from ports is not optimal. You should
> install those from source for a production environment

The port's source code changes are minimal, from what I can
tell, so I'm not convinced that this will make a big difference.
I've only been using ports on FreeBSD for the last few years,
to help keep so many things up-to-date (portupgrade), so I'll
stick with it for now.  Noted, however.

> so I don't necessarily realise that zope is
> >installed (hey, plone is what I wanted, right?).
>
> at the end of the install process, if you give the command as "make
> install clean", it will show you all the affected ports.

Thanks.  I tend to browse the Makefile, files/* and pkg* (um, all
port files!), just in case I've missed anything.  This was a
little gripe. :)

> > [apache]
> use rewrite rules.

I was - in proxying mode - and have them working a treat.  Ta.

> >I popped the foo.zexp into the .../bar/import directory and
> >http://.../manage didn't find it, so I moved it into the main
> >.../import directory and it found it
>
> hm, you might have something misconfigured there.

I did indeed - me.  I was confusing instances with virtual
hosting (d'oh!).  I suspect I had foo and bar on the same ports
(e.g. 8080) - that'd do it. ;-) So, I deleted bar and have my
"virtual hosts" in sub-dirs of foo.  Gee, such an obvious mistake.

This virtual hosting is odd.
 . o O ( Hmm-mm, you just works... but you sure is ugly! )

> >Error Value: No module named CMFUserTrackTool.UserTrackTool
>
> The zexp includes an object that depends on the UserTrackTool, you can
> get CMFMessage from the Plone collective, download and install that into
> your Products directory to fix that.

I did.  It did.  Many, many thanks.  That site will be handy
(even though "the plone collective" sounds a little spooky).

> good luck.

Much appreciated.

I now have the front page of the imported site working, but
clicking on a link causes a "Site error" - "attribute error"
which ultimately cites

	AttributeError: i18nlayer_check4tab
	(Also, an error occurred while attempting to render the standard error message.)

So, I've sent that back to the web-developers to see if they
can offer any insight.

Thanks again - beginning to grok zope, now.

--
Geraint A. Edwards (aka "Gedge")
gedge at yadn.org