Preparation for Plone2

Khairil Yusof kaeru at pd.jaring.my
Mon Jan 19 23:34:35 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 01:08 -0500, Tim Middleton wrote:

> Good stuff. I was about to install the latest Plone 2 on a server just before
> i read this. I was just going to do it manually... but had been thinking
> someone really needs to make a port for it, even if it is plone-devel ...

There is going to be a need for plone-devel soon (I'll take it), but
I'll do it after plone2 is done.

> (I noticed your last post asking about fixing libxml2 to work for python
> 2.1... my answer is forget python 2.1 and zope 2.6...! But i understand this
> may not be practical for some people).

I'm thinking that some people with production servers, may want to keep
Zope 2.6 going. I think however everybody should move to Plone2, because
I don't think 1.x is going to be developed further plus a lot of work
was put into the migration scripts.

> I had been wondering if there shouldn't be a zope-devel port for 2.7. But I
> don't really understand how 2.6 and 2.7 co-exist. I just noticed Zope.org
> announcing that 2.6.4-RC1 and 2.7-RC1 are released at the same time...

Hmm... how to do this one?

If you keep 2.6 (which many might want to keep) add 2.7 then Zope will
need to have the PYTHON_VERSION out of bsd.mk.python.

Then something needs to autodetect your Zope version for zope ports, so
that they build with the right python version.

> But then if it is moved this could break all the product ports? Or at least
> require them all to be inreinstalled with an updated bsd.python.mk to go to
> the new location...  the instance would stil have the /var directory, so the
> Data.fs can stay where it is... probably more of a pain that most poeple
> would want. Seems a shame to be stuck on the "old way" of installing zope
> though, when it is so much easier now to handle instances.

ZOPEBASEDIR and ZOPEPRODUCTSDIR and any more variables that you can
think of, can help with this process.

I would think that now is the time to get these changes done, I agree
with your Zope instances and moving it out of www, this is how apache
does it, and I think you would be following convention rather than
breaking it.

I'll keep working on my CMF/Plone ports, but I think, we might need some
sort of HEADS UP announcement including publicising this python mailing
list, to get everybody interested involved in this discussion.

--
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it
means."

FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT i386
2:29pm up 1 day, 14:33, 5 users, load averages: 2.62, 2.65, 2.25