libxml2 python subport

Khairil Yusof kaeru at pd.jaring.my
Wed Jan 14 19:40:52 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 12:43 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> Is this really necessary?  libxml2 builds with Python supported enabled
> by default.  No one has complained thus far.

I ran into a problem, in porting a zope component that's dependent on
libxml2.

I'll try to make the situation clearer.

zope ports uses python2.1 (lang/python21)
third-party python modules/ports are installed by default for latest
version (in this case 2.3)

So any zope port, will not find required dependencies (or work if you
hack it) because it will look in python2.1 directory, not python2.3.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to have multiple python versions
of libxml2 python bindings based on existing ports.

- sub port (which is how the rpm is done) and will always automatically
  follow latest libxml2 port.

or

- independent port using python binding tarballs released by xmlsoft.
  but you always have to chase libxml2 port everything new version
  is released.

or

- tell users you can only have one libxml2 python binding for one
  python version at runtime build only, using with PYTHON_VERSION=X

Please advise, on what you think is best.
--
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it
means."

FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT i386
3:40am up 9 days, 23:56, 1 user, load averages: 0.70, 0.65, 0.59