buy a HP DL380 G6

Søren Klintrup soren at klintrup.dk
Wed Sep 8 07:34:19 UTC 2010

I can definitely shoot that down, we have several DL360 G6 and G7 servers
with P410i controllers running FreeBSD and they are some of the best
performing raid controllers I've seen from HP, and  I have not had any
problems with the controller. Our DL380G6+ machines are all running vmware
or linux, but its definitely a solid machine.

Sounds like a great machine for postgres, I would probably have a look at
the dl360g6/g7, its a great piece of hardware as well, and if you can live
with the physical constraints of a 1U machine (only 2 PCIe cards etc) theres
no reason to use more space than necessary, the latest 1U offerings from HP
is a lot more flexible than they were 2-3 years ago.

Oh, and be careful not to overspec the machine too much, the 5500/5600
series cpu is quite powerful, as an example we moved from two DL380G4
machines with 2x3.6 GHz Pentium 4 Xeon cores each (4 cores total) fully
loaded to a 12-core 5600 based machine, the new machine is now 95% idle at
its highest load (as we didn't know when the app would max out on cpu power,
we gave it plenty), so we'll be migrating this workload to a lower specced
machine soon, and using the 12-core for something its better suited at.

Regards,
Søren