ILO2 Virtual Serial Port probe problem in FreeBSD 8

Anders Nordby anders at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 24 16:41:09 UTC 2010

Hi,

I usually set up my serial console on Proliant servers with embedded
serial port set to disabled and virtual serial port set to COM1 and then
serial console redirect to COM1. That way FreeBSD discovers its serial
console on COM1 and I don't need to recompile with a specific port to
get all console output.

Lately, with ILO2 in FreeBSD 8.1, the VSP port doesn't get probed
however:

sio0 failed to probe at port 0x3f8 irq 4 on isa0
sio1 failed to probe at port 0x2f8 irq 3 on isa0
sio2: not probed (disabled)
sio3: not probed (disabled)

rbsu> SHOW CONFIG SCRIPT
(..)
SET CONFIG BIOS Serial Console Port COM 1; IRQ4; IO: 3F8h-3FFh
SET CONFIG BIOS Serial Console Baud Rate 9600
SET CONFIG Embedded Serial Port Disabled
SET CONFIG Virtual Serial Port COM 1; IRQ4; IO: 3F8h-3FFh

I wonder why the kernel doesn't see it, when the VSP is set to IRQ4 and
3F8h / COM1? Anyone actually using the VSP with ILO2 in newer releases?

I'm testing this on a ProLiant BL460c G1 blade.

Regards,

--
Anders.