BL460 G6 support

Anders Nordby anders at FreeBSD.org
Sat Apr 3 17:30:56 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 09:19:41PM +0100, Christoph Weber-Fahr wrote:
> since the rest of FreeBSD land seems to be happily ignorant abozut HP
> blade servers,, my question here:
>
> Does anybody know if there FreeBSD support forthcoming for the current
> BL460 generation, or has FreeBSD written off HPs blade server as insignificant?
>
> And if there is support planned, is there an ETA I could rest
> panning decisions on?
>
> I helped myself buying BL465 G6 for the moment, but that window
> apparently is closing fast, since I'm told next the generation
> with the dreaded 10Gig cards is only months away.
>
> How do you deal with this issue?

FreeBSD does not support server models, it supports hardware of various
kinds. Googling around a little, it seems supporting BL460 G6 NIC (NC532i
Dual-Port Flex-10 NIC) is an issue of supporting Broadcoms 10gb NICs.
The answer closest to your request was found on:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=128736+0+archive/2009/freebsd-net/20090726.freebsd-net

But if you search the freebsd-net list for 57710, you can find a little
more discussion about it. In general, for NIC support, find out what
kind of NIC it really is, and check freebsd-net.

I run FreeBSD on BL460 G5 models myself (so far), so I hope this issue
is resolved soon.

Regards,

--
Anders.