Installation Freebsd 7.2 AMD64 on Proliant DL385 G5p

Ulf Zimmermann ulf at Alameda.net
Sun Nov 8 09:42:26 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 10:38:39AM -0500, Mark O'Keefe wrote:

> I also am using 2-sas drives.  I did not set them up using the firmware controller (that might be my issue for not being able to write to the disks). I just (physically) installed both of them and didn't set them up.  I am trying to install 7-2 Release AMD64.  I wasn't sure if I needed to install any of HP's software before I can install FreeBSD?
>
> > Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 07:28:59 -0800
> > From: atkin901 at gmail.com
> > To: bmsg32 at hotmail.com
> > CC: freebsd-proliant at freebsd.org
> > Subject: Re: Installation Freebsd 7.2 AMD64 on Proliant DL385 G5p
> >
> > SomeoneHere wrote:
> > > I just purchased one of these for our company as our mail server.
> >
> > I have one of these running freebsd-current currently.  It has 2-sas
> > drives in mirror mode, set from the firmware controller setup.  To the
> > install (I used a PXE install) it appeared as a normal drive and the
> > install went off without a hitch.

The BIOS for any SmartArray controller will by default put 2 drives into
a Raid 1 setup if you do not answer the question during the first boot.
This becomes then the first system drive. You can verify that by going
to the console, press F8 when the SmartArray screen comes up. In the BIOS
is a selection for show information.

> > > I have ran
> > > freebsd on boxes (mail server, webserver, proxy server, ftp, etc) but this
> > > is the first actual "server" box.  Trying to install this on the box with
> > > the default geometry makes me receive the "Write failure on transfer (wrote
> > > -1 bytes of 1425408 bytes)" error.
> >
> > Which release are you trying to install?  8.0-RC2?  Did you get a
> > warning about the disk geometry from sysinstall?
> >
> > >  Alt-f2 is showing
> > > /stand/cpio: premature end of file.  I have downloaded the image twice and
> > > burned twice yet receive the same error.  Is it not able to write because
> > > when using the default geometry it cannot format?  If anyone can point me in
> > > the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
> >
> > This error you make me believe that the target media is not writable.

Also in the SmartArray bios you can set two different size options for
boot purpose. You might want to play with that.

Regards, Ulf.