Installation Freebsd 7.2 AMD64 on Proliant DL385 G5p

Mark Atkinson atkin901 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 15:45:58 UTC 2009

Mark O'Keefe wrote:
>  I also am using 2-sas drives.  I did not set them up using the firmware
> controller (that might be my issue for not being able to write to the
> disks). I just (physically) installed both of them and didn't set them
> up.  I am trying to install 7-2 Release AMD64.  I wasn't sure if I
> needed to install any of HP's software before I can install FreeBSD?

Nope, once you setup your disks in the firmware setup, ciss0 should
attach to the controller just fine.  You can see this by modifying the
options in sysinstall and enable the 'emergency holographic shell.'   I
think that becomes available via ALT-F4.  From there you can view
'dmesg' output to which devices were probed and attached successfully on
bootup.

ciss0: <HP Smart Array P400> port 0x4000-0x40ff mem
0xfdf00000-0xfdffffff,0xfdef0000-0xfdef0fff irq 32 at device 0.0 on pci70

[...]

GEOM: new disk da0da0 at ciss0 bus 0 scbus0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <COMPAQ RAID 1  VOLUME OK> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-5 device
da0: Serial Number PAFGCOMPAQ  RAID00-0xfff
da0: 135.168MB/s transfersode
da0: Command Queueing enabled
da0: 139979MB (286677120 512 byte sectors: 255H 32S/T 35132C)