hpacucli-7.50.tar.bz2: Will this work on FreeBSD 5.5 i386?

Ulf Zimmermann ulf at Alameda.net
Tue Jul 7 17:57:49 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 12:03:27PM -0400, RA Cohen wrote:
> I am not sure what you are trying to do - do you want to add the two new
> drives to an existing array? You will have to copy the data off the
> existing array, add the drives, and then re-initializing the array. Then
> you can copy your data back to the newly expanded array.
>
> If there is another way to do this, I'd love to hear about it!

Let's assume he has two 9GB drives right now, in a raid 1+0.

He can swap 1 drive at a time, let the automatic rebuild happen.
When the rebuild is done, the second drive can be swapped and again
wait for the rebuild.

At this point the system should be:

Array A has two 18GB drives in it, half used for Logical Drive 1.

You can now either expand the existing Logical Drive 1 (by using
the hpacucli program or boot the SmartStart CD and run the
graphical version from there). When this expansion is finished, you would
reboot FreeBSD for it to pickup the larger logical drive and you can now
go through and do a file system extension.

Or you create another logical drive, by using hpacucli (or the SmartStart CD)
which will use the new space.

> -Roy
>
> Ian Narcisi wrote:
> >I would like to add a couple new 18.2G drives to our HP Proliant DL360 G2's
> >Smart Array 3200 SCSI controller. We have a BSD /vol0 mounted to a Smart
> >Array 3200 Controller which contains our existing MySQL database. It is 6G
> >away from filling to it maximum. The questions are: Can I install
> >hpacucli-7.50.tar.bz2<ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/brooks/hpacucli-7.50.tar.bz2>on
> >FreeBSD 5.5, or should I find/install an older version? Once
> >successfully
> >installed can I add the two - 18.2G drives to the existing 6 - 18.2G drives
> >on the Smart Array 3200 using this utility, or would I be better off using
> >the HP SmartStart CD and adding the hard drives this way?
> >
> >Thank you,
> >
> >Ian
> >

> --
> Roy A Cohen