HP ProLiant DL120 G5 Server

kama kama at pvp.se
Tue Oct 7 08:05:33 UTC 2008

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008, Anthony L wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Should watch out for anything regarding FreeBSD 7.0 on the HP ProLiant DL120
> G5 Server ?
>
> I'll likely be putting in 4x 1GB sticks of RAM and 2x 500GB SATA drives.
>
> (It will be a LAMP server with GMirror)
>
> Also, are any of the CPU types HP carries incompatible with FreeBSD ?  I see
> they have a large choice of quad,dual, xeon, etc...

If the array card is ciss, i dont think there will be any problem. I have
not used FreeBSD on DL120. But I have never had any real Proliant specific
problems with FreeBSD on any of the DL380 revisions (R1, G2-G5) with
SA-cards 5300, 6400, P400 and P800.

If you dont need to run x86 specificly, try amd64. So when you need to,
you can update the memory without any hassle. I run amd64 of FreeBSD
7.1-PR on a dual quadcore intel setup with 16GB of RAM.

If you run BSD wouldnt it be a BAMP instead of a LAMP?

/Bjorn