HP DL385G1 Smart Array 6i AMD64 FBSD 6.3

Todorov todorov at paladin.bulgarpress.com
Sun May 4 21:08:14 UTC 2008

Ulf Zimmermann написа:
| On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 01:11:05AM +0300, Todorov wrote:
|>
|> Ulf Zimmermann ??????:

|> |> |
|> time to
|> into
|> |> |

|> |
|> | hpacucli ctrl sl=0 array A show
|> | hpacucli ctrl sl=0 ld 1 show
|> |
|> | That will show the current status. If you are going to just create
a new
|> | partition/file system anyways, you don't have to extent, you could just
|> | create a new logical disk, it would show as da1. To do that:
|> |
|> | hpacucli ctrl sl=0 array A create type=ld raid=1
|> |
|> | That will use whatever space is available in array A (if the current
|> status
|> | is that the two new drives have been added to array A).
|> |
|> | Of in case the drives are still seperate you can create an array B.
|> |

|> Let me ask since I got confused...
|>
|> 4 disks in RAID 1+0 (let's assume I don't want to extend the FS) should
|> be seen as two RAID 1 's ?
|>
|> Should I see the RAID 0 somewhere also?
|>
|> Can you please provide some output of the dmesg or camcontrol inquiry .
|
| What does "hpacucli ctrl sl=0 array A show" show?

It worked :)

I couldn't use hpacucli under 6.3 AMD64 FreeBSD (if anyone could please
let me know, as it didn't recognize the controller). So I used the
SmartStart CD.

I did expansion of the current RAID 1+0 (RAID1 actually as there were
only 2 disks) with another 2 disks. So the expansion finished in about 6
hours and I saw OK for the volume BUT the size was the same as the RAID1
- - 146GB (4x146GB disks inside the logical drive). So I started asking
myself if the process did something so I went onsite next day and
started the ACU again - there was an option to EXTEND the SIZE as there
was another 146GB free space unassigned to the previous size. I did this
(few seconds) and the size became 280GB (MAX).

Currently I have 280GB - there was a problem with the fdisk - it was
warning me for the slices not starting on the beginning of the track
which led to non bootable system (data was there but the boot loader
told me - wrong part info). So I did it again and then override the boot
loader - this time it was ok.

In the FBSD I see /dev/da0 as RAID 1 which is strange but nevermind.

Thanks Ulf for encouraging me to test this!
I had backup for the other scenario but I did it w/o reinstall of the OS
which was nice.

There were some messages in syslog:

May  4 15:42:13 opteron kernel: ciss0: *** Parity/consistency
initialization complete, logical drive 0
May  4 15:42:13 opteron kernel: ciss0: logical drive 0 () completed
consistency initialisation

which I had to monitor for anycase if they are regular or just something
with the last restart.

Regards,
Todorov