HP DL385G1 Smart Array 6i AMD64 FBSD 6.3

Ulf Zimmermann ulf at Alameda.net
Fri May 2 17:01:37 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 09:46:41AM +0200, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Xin LI schrieb:
> >Todorov wrote:
> >| Hi all,
> >|
> >| I want to migrate my RAID1 (2 disks) (automatically assigned as RAID1
> >| bacause I have two disks inserted in RAID 1+0 Logical drive), add two
> >| more disks and get actual RAID 1+0 drive of four disks.
> >|
> >| I was reading the ACU specs of HP and I see this can be done online. I
> >| can have downtime - the question is if I can do it w/o dump and restore
> >| of the filesystem?
> >|
> >| I fully realize that the size will be doubled of /dev/da0 device,
> >| currently 136GB will become 272GB. Can I make a spare partition of it,
> >| will the whole procedure happen w/o any dump/restore?
> >
> >I think you should at least take a backup before resizing anything
>

> That, and I think you will end up with a 2nd DOS-partition that
> comprises the "added" free space.

Backup, yes do it. But here is how to do it:

hpacucli ctrl slot=0 ld 1 add drives=allunassigned

This should add the additional drives to your first logical drive and
expand it. Whenever I do this, I reboot now so FreeBSD sees the
new larger physical disk.

In most cases now you have to update the partition table, either
by addition another slice or changing the size of your FreeBSD slice.

If the file system you want to grow is the last one in disklabel, you
can use disklabel to change the size of it, also the total line (c:)
needs to grow.

And then finally you can use growfs on the file system.

--
Regards, Ulf.