Love to hate iLO ...

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Sat Mar 22 22:32:01 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 03:01:00PM -0700, Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 09:09:42PM -0400, Brad Miele wrote:
> > Out of 8 dl3x machines that i have, your experience describes only one of
> > them. I had one where the iLO hung as you described and even cold resets
> > wouldn't bring it back. HP said that it was most likely the board, and
> > wanted to replace it. But for whatever reason, I never got them in to do
> > it. So I went on hope that this Achilles heel machine would stay up.
> > Ultimately it crashed hard, and the saving grace was that for some
> > reason, that final remote hands reset brought the iLO back to life and I
> > was able to fsck through it. It has been up since, about 4 months.
>
> We currently have about 200 HP servers and once in a while I will get
> iLOs which need a hard reset (remove power from system). But if iLO
> starts to become unresponsive, a reset from OS (Linux in our case *sigh*)
> will usual bring it back up. Even the OS reset is not very often.

Once in a while we just need to restart the network part of it, but
that can be done by taking out the cable and putting it back in.
Or as we do: reboot the iLO-switch (which is a dumb 10/100 Mb
switch).

There is a more serious issue, when you ~. out of an SSH session
while you are in the remote console. That requires a cold reboot
of the whole system (i.e. not only a "power off" from inside the
iLO, but a full pwoer down of the system).

Edwin
--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org
edwin at mavetju.org    |              Weblog: http://www.mavetju.org/weblog/