httpd coredumps on restart

bf.mbox at gmail.com bf.mbox at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 01:19:38 PST 2008

Configuration:
   OS  FreeBSD 7.0
   System:  HP Proliant DL380
   Apache  1.3.41
   PHP-5.2.8

I recently changed my httpd.conf file to allow NameVirtualHost as well
as IP based Virtual hosting. Since then I am having problems starting
up apache.  On graceful restart the apache process dumps core and the
log message is:

kernel: pid 10114 (httpd), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
gdb on the core file is unenlightening: Program terminated with signal
11, Segmentation fault.

Reverting to the old httpd.conf (before changes) did not help and
apachectl start also failed.

I found a work around which was to comment out the  LoadModule
php5_module and AddModule mod_php5.c lines in httpd.conf and then
start httpd.  At this point httpd runs and
I then uncomment the above lines and do a graceful restart and httpd
stays alive.

Any suggestions on diagnosing this problem would be appreciated.

--
Barry Friedman