Ad: dl380 revisit hang on boot with smp

Øystein Kaldhol Oystein.Kaldhol at mrfylke.no
Fri Feb 2 08:21:40 UTC 2007

owner-freebsd-proliant at freebsd.org skrev 01.02.2007 14:15:52:

> Hi,
>
> Just wanted to see if anyoone has been able to shed any insight on this,
>
> System: DL380 G3 (happens on my G4s also)
> CPU 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz (2785.70-MHz 686-class CPU)
> Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf29  Stepping = 9

Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,C
> MOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
>    Features2=0x4400<CNTX-ID,<b14>>
>    Logical CPUs per core: 2
>
> When I boot to an SMP kernel, the system hangs for a few minutes between
>
> Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
> SMP: AP CPU #2 Launched!
> SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
> SMP: AP CPU #3 Launched!
> da0 at ciss0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <COMPAQ RAID 1  VOLUME OK> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> da0: 135.168MB/s transfers
> da0: 138919MB (284506560 512 byte sectors: 255H 32S/T 34866C)
>
> and
>
> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
>
> doesn't seem to hurt anything, but delays reboot of my production boxes
> just long enough for the phone to start ringing :)

We get the same, not only on DL380's but also on DL360's with and without
SMP. I haven't timed it, but it seems to hang "forever"(around a minute?)
at that point. This leads me to think its a problem with the ciss driver
or something like that.

brgrds
Oystein Kaldhol
Systems Administrator