DL380G2 instability

Per olof Ljungmark peo at intersonic.se
Mon Sep 25 06:47:42 PDT 2006

Christoph Schug wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2006, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
>
>> I have tried now for some time to get FBSD running on a couple of
>> DL380G2 with dual PIII 1.4G but never got it right. The boxes are
>> identical in both hw setup and the way they behave so I figured this may
>> be FreeBSD related, not a hardware fault.
> [...]
>> Anyone out there who has this model running SMP OK?
>
> I've got several DL380 G2 running 6-STABLE and 6.1-RELEASE without any
> hitch, both in UP and SMP configurations. ACPI is disabled, OS set to
> 'Linux'. Other BIOS settings are default, firmware levels are as of
> Proliant Software Maintenance CD 7.40.
>
> I would rather guess you encountered a hardware issue (faulty power
> supply; non-identical stepping of CPUs?). OTOH as you're talking about a
> couple of machines, this is not very likely. Are you sure, your servers
> have got the redundant fan kit in place as this is mandatory for SMP
> operations?

Hi Christoph,

Yes, got the fan kit and CPU's are same stepping and it is two identical
boxes. As most people seem to be ok with "Linux" as the BIOS setting
this is what I have used for most of the time. Firmware levels are at
7.50 but I don't think there are any updates for this box between 7.40
and .50. Have even switched power supplies, both boxes have redundant psu's.

I guess I should try 5-STABLE SMP, if that works the probability of hw
fault would be minimal but then again I'm back to square one in terms of
what the problem could be.

Per olof